There is quite a lot of speculation is flying around on message boards and such regarding which trucks were used in this movie, but I finally found enough evidence to list the following about the “Smokey and the Bandit” truck, with 99% confidence that these are the true facts:
* Three Kenworth W900s were used in the movie (yay!) (Although some websites suggests that more than 3 trucks were used….)
* Two of the three trucks were 1974 models, which can be confirmed by looking at the grill, where the standard silver Kenworth emblems are displayed.
* The last Kenworth was a 1973 model. It sports a gold plated Kenworth emblem on its grill, something which signifies Kenworth 50th anniversary, as the business was established in 1923.
* All trucks were painted brown with golden edges and equipped with 38” sleeper cabs.
* The mural trailer was 48 feet long & manufactured by Hobbs Trailers in Texas.
If anyone has more info on these trucks used in Smokey & THe Bandit, feel free to leave it here :-)